Get to know more about the leading coffee milling and marketing union in Meru County
Meru Coffee Millers has identified the following five objectives and strategies to reach thes
- To reach out to the main specialty coffee importers worldwide and establish the first contacts with them:
- To increase Meru’s visibility as a specialty coffee supplier in the world
- To ensure that coffees fit with the specific quality needs and requirements of future customers
- To ensure solid supply of parchment coffee from members to MCCMCU
- To fetch good prices for the producers supplying to MCCM
Meru County Coffee Millers is a Co-Operative Union which was formed by all the co-operative societies in Meru County with the aim of milling and marketing coffee centrally. Forty-eight (48) Coffee Co-operative Societies are affiliated to the union; one of the societies is formed by Estates within the county, 34 others from Meru Central Coffee Cooperative Union and 13 from Meru North Coffee Cooperative Union. Meru County Coffee Cooperative union (MCCMCU) was incorporated on 30th January 2014 under registration No. CS/16071, and it was officially launched on 28th February 2014, thus the union started its operations on 29th February 2014.
Since its establishment MCCMCU LTD, has been playing a vital role of transforming coffee farming communities by gaining better means to livelihood thus contributing to alleviate poverty in rural areas. This has been achieved by ensuring our coffee farmers are serviced with advanced extension services as a unique mechanism to produce high quality and quantity Mild Arabica coffee to compete in the World market by fetching reasonable price.
The Union recently managed to acquire a coffee commercial marketing license from the coffee industry i.e. Coffee Directorate of Agriculture Fisheries and Food Authority. We are now able to participate in Nairobi Coffee Exchange – Central Auctions as well as Direct Sales.
With our innovative operations integrated services and good relations with our producers, we guarantee quality coffee to our customers; MCCMCU focuses on the following key functions:
- To receive coffee parchment from the farmers through their primary societies, mill and market on their behalf.
- Provide crop finance to member primary cooperative Societies and Estates
- Provide market information on coffee prices to member primary cooperative societies and help them to secure optimal prices.
- Provide information on input prices and seek the minimal prices for the best quality inputs
- Supply farm equipment and inputs (seedlings, fertilizers and chemicals) to member primary cooperative Societies and Estates
- Provide cooperative education and extension services to member primary Cooperative Societies and Estates
Meru Coffee Millers is managed by a team of able seasoned leaders forming a Board of Directors elected by the farmers from both Co-operative and Individual Estates. BoD is headed by an elected Chairman
Mr. Marete is responsible for running the mill on a day to day basis assisted by heads of departments that includes Mr John Karira the Operation’s Manager, Mr Anderson Rucha the Quality Assurance Manager and others. The CEO is also advises and oversees all the coffee marketing activities.
Board of Directors
Meru Coffee Millers is headed by a Director who chairs the Board of Directors (BOD) that consists of 13 members representing the cooperative and union